Jake has had a terrible headache since last Monday and I was starting to get so worried about him. When Liam was 2 weeks old we were getting in bed and Jake was complaining about a pain in his abdomen. The next morning he said it still hurt like crazy but wouldn't listen to me when I told him to call in sick so he could go to the doctor. He worked for 12 hours with an appendicitis. Needless to say, when he complains about something I am immediately concerned. Anyway, he called yesterday morning and told me his head was hurting worse than before. I had to talk to him 3 times before I could convince him to come home and go to the ER so they could possibly give him something to get rid of it. I dropped him off at about 2:00 and I went home to put Liam in bed and wait for my mother-in-law.
I got to the hospital at about 3:00. He was finally in a room so I went to find him. I walked in the room and saw the doctor and nurse talking to Jake and noticed that he was so pale, I knew that it was bad. The first thing I heard the doctor say was "left untreated, there is a 50% mortality rate." They were very concerned, after hearing all of his symptoms, that his brain was hemorrhaging. The doctor said that he sounded like a textbook case. They started an IV with some medication for the headache and went to schedule a cat scan. I have been in the ER with a migraine before and the medication they gave me caused the worst anxiety I have ever had, so I was worried that his would do the same. Of course the nurse wouldn't listen, and gave it to him anyway. About 10 minutes later he started squirming. He sat up and I could tell he was going to freak. I went out and told the nurse what was going on and that if they didn't give him something for the anxiety that I was afraid he was going to bolt. She acted so annoyed and came in and talked to him like he was a little kid who wasn't cooperating, like he could control what was going on. He went out to the bathroom and she left. When he got back he was having a full on panic attack. I went out again and told the nurse to find the doctor and ask him what we could give him. She was again annoyed and rude to me this time but agreed to do it. About 3 minutes later, she came in nice as could be and gave him something. He was instantly better. This is why I will never leave my family alone in the hospital, they always think they know better than you and don't take things seriously.
I sat there by him while he slept, waiting for the cat scan results. I was texting my family and Jake's because I knew if I talked to anyone on the phone that I was going to lose it. I was glad for the texting anyway because it kept me busy. So many things went through my head during that time, I can't even express. Heavenly Father kept me calm because I knew I had to be strong for my sweet husband.
The results came back, and they said that he was clear. We were both so relieved. With hemorrhaging in your brain, the cat scan is only 90% accurate so they wanted to do a spinal tap to be 100% sure. So we had to keep waiting.
Finally after 6 1/2 hours in the ER we got the results and they told us it was just a headache, not hemorrhaging. We got to go home. He still has a headache but hopefully the pain meds they gave him will get rid of it in a day or two. I was reminded once again to love your family and don't take anything for granted, because things can all change instantly. I also wanted to say thank you to my mother in law, Hill, and Honna for taking care of my kids, and everyone else for your phone calls, texts, and prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Glad everything turned out OK.
That is so scary! Sometimes I hate medical personnel, they like to freak you out and then don't listen to you. I have learned to go with how you feel, you're usually right. I am glad that everything is okay.
Yeah that was a little freaky there for a while. Glad it's over.
Poor Jake! I hope he's feeling better. Nothing's worse than a headache that won't go away.
I actually left the comment, but for some reason it says Pat's name. wierd. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.
Kelli
Glad everything is okay. That's really scary!
Post a Comment