Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My baby has this.

For a few months Livi has been, to put it mildly, very difficult to nurse.  This led to us finding out that she has reflux and torticollis.  She is now on meds for the reflux and spending one hour a week with a pediatric physical therapist.  When she was born, the ear on the right side of her head was flat like a little flap of skin.  This suggests that due to her position in my belly the muscles on her left side are extremely short and tight, causing the torticollis.  So now we have rigorous at-home therapy that involves stretching 3 times a day, no car seat, bouncy, or swing unless absolutely necessary, 60 minutes of tummy time per day (yes folks that is A LOT), and trying to remember to always position her so that what she wants to look at is on her left.  Her poor little head is getting flat on one side because of her neck so we also have 4 weeks to make improvements or she gets to wear the dreaded-by-every-parent helmet (dun-dun-DUNNN).  Poor baby.  I was just hoping for more things to complicate my already crazy life.

10 comments:

Hill said...

wow, no car seat or swing and 60 minutes of tummy time. holy crap.

Hales Family said...

Wow! Bless you. I hope it all gets better soon. You have had your share lately. I feel so bad for her, and for you. That is rough. No car seat or swing? Good luck! :)

Craig and Monica said...

That's got to be hard with 3 kids, and not being able to sit your baby anywhere! I would go insane. But...it would definitely be worth not having the dreaded helmet. Good luck! I know you guys are due to win the lottery or something next. You've had way too much to deal with lately.

spyderette said...

oh sis, poor little livvy has been through SO much! and poor you need a break! good luck to you. hopefully the 4 weeks will fly by and everything will be a-okay. we'll be praying for you! xoxo

Kelli said...

Savannah almost had to have the helmet. We did all of the exercises and she didn't end up having to have one. Hopefully, Liv won't have to either. Good luck!

Tara said...

oh man i am sorry! something tremendous is in the works for you i suspect. i really hope she doesn't need the helmet. i think i need to fly you out here for a much needed break to bask in the hawaiian sun!

Tara said...

tremendously good that is.

Unknown said...

Joshers had reflux - I feel for you! To give you some hope, though - he got better at around 9 months - I hope the same for you.

Josh preferred one side over the other as well and I read that this is common with refluxers. I'm curious to know what medications they have her on, we'll have to talk this Saturday (at the family party, if you're coming). Josh was on Prevacid (solutabs which is so much easier and convenient than the liquid) and Reglan. We also gave him Enfamil AR (a formula with rice in it).

I'm sad you can't put her in the swing b/c that's how Josh slept his first 6 months - he couldn't even stand having his diaper changed lying straight on his back. We had a little device to put in the swing (called Noggin Nest) to take pressure off the back of his head and prevent flattening - but I don't think it would work for the side.

Hang in there girl!

Nat said...

Good luck with everything linds. I hope it goes by quickly. My neighbor's new baby has that same thing with her neck, but I'm not sure what exactly they have to do, I know she takes her for therapy every so often.
How was card/gossip night? Sorry I couldn't make it, next time for sure. :)

Dana said...

Poor little baby :(. I hope it works out quickly, that is a lot to do with 2 other kids to take care of. Good luck.