Sunday, August 17, 2008

Alivia


My 2 beautiful girls.


Sweet tiny little one.


I had to post this so you could see her tiny little chicken legs. Notice Jake's fingers compared to her legs.


After her first bath (which she loved). The infant tub didn't work too well though, she was just too tiny, it took both of us to hold her safely while I washed her. I think I will have to get her in the big tub with me next time.

Last Monday I went to the doctor's office and made it as far as the nurses station when she checked my blood pressure and tried to remain calming while she told me that I was probably going to the hospital to have a baby. Being the rock solid person that I am, I went back to the waiting area and called Jake and immediately started bawling on the phone to the point that I couldn't even tell him what was wrong. I HATE it that I always do this... it's like I am a little kid and he is my mommy. No matter how hard I try not to, I hear his voice and just lose it every time something is wrong.

The doctor checked me and I was completely un-ready to have a baby. He sent me straight to the hospital and told me to try to warm up to the idea of a C-Section (this just made me cry more).

I got to the hospital and went into the labor and delivery room by myself, it was so weird. I wasn't prepared AT ALL to be having a baby that day. Luckily Jake showed up not long after I did. They hooked me up to a million machines and drew blood to check my kidneys and something else. Then they gave me something to try to prep me for labor. After the blood work came back looking good the doctor told me I was favorable to try delivery on my own but I had to start the magnesium. I was stressed about this since I was told it could make you throw up like crazy. Luckily it didn't have that effect on me, it just made me feel so sedated and crappy. We sat and waited for 2 hours and then the nurse checked me. I was dilated to about a 2.5 and about 80% effaced. They were pretty surprised, so knowing my history of moving quickly, I asked for an epidural and then the doc broke my water.

I progressed steadily but not quickly, I guess since my body was so unprepared. Everything went well and I could feel that the babe was ready so the doc came in and told me to push. I pushed one time and he told me not so much and out she came! It was crazy how fast she came out, and I was pretty surprised at how tiny she was.

She stayed on my floor that night and then the next morning they decided that she needed to go to the NICU. Her blood was too thick so they had to remove some and replace it with saline to thin it out.

That whole day I had to be on the mag still and I was so out of it I couldn't even go see the baby. At one point Jake came in the room and went in the bathroom. When he came out I go, "How was the baby?" and he was like "huh?" and I go "didn't you go up and see the babe?" and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "honey, I was in the bathroom for about 30 seconds".

Needless to say, I felt about 100% better when they took me off the next morning. When we got home I was shocked to see how much my body changed from being so swollen, I noticed a little, but the toxemia had been sneaking up on me the whole pregnancy I think. It was just weird how fast it came on. My blood pressure is still really high so they have me on meds for that.

I am just happy that the baby is doing so well, she is tiny but doing so good. Sorry this was so long... I just wanted to record some of it before I forget... Thanks for all of your well wishes!

9 comments:

Dana said...

Congrats! She is sooooo tiny! I can't believe the size of those legs. I hope you feel better soon. We will miss you guys!

Craig and Monica said...

I'm glad everything is going well with you! I seriously can't believe her legs compared to Jake's fingers...crazy! Congrats on your sweet little family!

Unknown said...

Way to go Lindsey! I'm so glad she's here and she's ok. Congrats to you and Jake. Looking forward to more pictures....

Mama F said...

Thank picture of Soph holding her is so cute. I noticed that Liam isn't in any of them! How close have you let him get to the tiny baby? Those are truly the skinniest baby legs I have ever seen! Maybe we should start calling her "Skinny" like her daddy.

Tara said...

im just soo glad th bot of you are doing so well. are things as crazy as you thought? i need to come see you sometime...

We do because we Mexi-Can! said...

I am in love with her chicken legs! That is so funny. She is absolutely a tiny beautiful little sweetie. =) Was that descriptive enough for ya? I'm so glad that you both are home and doing well.

Amy said...

Linny and Jake- Your new baby is gorgeous. Grams told me last night that you had her a bit early...I'll bet Candace is mad! ( : Congatulations! Amy

Nat said...

I'm glad you wrote about how it all happened, I was interested to hear. Glad things all went well. Those are pretty skinny legs she's got. Cute little thing though,

ash said...

Oh my goodness she is so tiny and such a doll. Makes me even more excited for mine to come. I'm glad everything seems to be going better for you. Love her little chicken legs!!